The mission of Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc. is to accelerate Downtown GR’s transition to a best-in-class American city. While a small, yet mighty organization, our growing team works hard with a wide array of community partners to build an increasingly vibrant downtown with great recreational experiences, a high quality of life for people from all walks of life and a strong inclusive economy. You may be familiar with some of our work
- The Van Andel Arena, Downtown Market and DeVos Place Convention Center – We helped build the facilities and accelerate the revitalization of Downtown.
- Movies in the Park? Yep. That’s us. We organized 40+ events in 2016 and MITP is the premier outdoor film series in west Michigan. Voting is now open for the community to help select the films for 2017!
- GR Forward – DGRI and partners led the development of this community plan and investment strategy to transform the Grand River into a distinct asset and guide the next generation of growth in Downtown Grand Rapids. Now we’re busy making the vision a reality.
With all of these exciting achievements and even more impactful projects on the horizon, DGRI is in search of a passionate, energetic and creative Communications Coordinator to help drive the organization’s content and messages across our print, digital and video platforms.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
With at least Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in creative writing, journalism, media management, public relations or a related communications field, and/or 2+ years’ experience producing print/online content, the Communications Coordinator will:
- Showcase their strong commitment to DGRI’s mission and enthusiasm for city building principles, economic development, transportation, parks and public spaces, urban revitalization, diversity and inclusion by collaborating with the Chief Outcomes Officer and program staff to develop communications strategies, tactics, materials and messages;
- Use their strong writing and editing skills with relentless attention to details, spelling, grammar and punctuation to support and advance DGRI’s external communications program across a variety of platforms, including print materials, newsletters, media releases, social media, video and more. Our ideal candidate will have a proven ability to move messages in an engaging way;
- Employ their experience crafting social-friendly headlines, web production and constituent management databases to manage DGRI content on all applicable platforms, particularly Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, as well as develop, execute and monitor strategies and analytics to grow DGRI’s social audience and engagement.;
- Collaborate with the Graphic Designer to manage scheduling, design and production of various print materials including marketing materials, fact sheets, special reports and other organizational or project materials;
- Develop program-related media releases, distributing to key media and managing media inquiries;
- Have strong interpersonal communication and teamwork skills with a pleasant demeanor and a positive energy about them. We’re looking for the consummate professional and collaborator who can coordinate with partner organizations to support cross-promotional efforts.
- Have some scheduling flexibility to support events outside normal business hours. You’ll be in the center of all the action!
- Ideally, have bi-lingual abilities. Proficiency in Spanish is a positive consideration.
Here’s what we’re offering the right candidate:
- An opportunity to shed light on things that matter in our city! You’ll have exposure to exciting events, projects and developments.
- A fun and flexible culture. Our diverse team works hard and has a good time doing it.
- Competitive hourly wage
- Medical & dental Insurance
- Life insurance
- Short & Long term disability insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Gym membership discounts and other wellness initiatives
- Paid Time Off
- Opportunities to grow and develop your career
If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, we encourage you to apply online today for immediate consideration. Please, no calls or emails.
Equal Opportunity Employer