Farmer’s Market Manager
Starting Salary Range: $52,000 – $67,000
Benefits offered with this position include: Defined Benefit Pension, Plus an optional 457 Deferred Compensation plan Reciprocal Pension Credit, available for pension-qualified applicants Retiree health reimbursement account Very generous medical/dental/vision/pharmacy plans Paid vacation, personal time, floating holiday, pl
- us sick days. Unused vacation and sick time rolls over
- Short-term and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- You can earn up to $500 annually by participating in our Wellness Incentive Programs. These dollars will be deposited into a health reimbursement account (HRA), which can be used toward eligible health care expenses
- Tuition reimbursement $2500, must be employed 1 year to be eligible
- Employee assistance program
- Voluntary benefits like accident coverage, critical illness, LegalShield, and Identify Theft
Responsible for management, coordination and supervision of the day-to-day activities of the Ann Arbor Public Market, including general maintenance of the Market facility and enforcement of the provision of Chapter 31 of City Code, the Public Market Operating rules and regulations and other provisions of the City Code pertaining to the operation of the Market.
- Manage the Market during hours of operation and coordinate market day logistics, including assignment of stalls and parking, customer service, programming, community group participation, token program facilitation, monitoring safety and cleanliness and facility throughout the day, vendor compliance, customer translation services.
- Enforce the Market’s operating rules and regulations, including appropriate City Code.
- Enforce all applicable federal, state and local food safety and sales regulations for vendors participating at the market; stay informed about current or new regulations that impact vendors with regard to sales, sampling, and participation at the market
- Coordinate with assigned inspectors from MDARD and Washtenaw County Department of Health to ensure vendor compliance.
- Review and recommend operating rules to Community Services Administrator or designee; incorporate industry best practices for comparable farmers markets into Operating Rule revision recommendations.
- Administer, maintain and update all related Market records including vendor applications, product lists, inspection reports, token agreements, and appropriate licensing paperwork.
- Prepare and monitor budget; maintain billing, deposit fees, submit vendor reimbursement records weekly to Finance; Administration of multiple market currencies (credit cards, EBT, Double Up Food Bucks, WIC & Senior Project Fresh coupons, e.g.); Conduct review of appropriate market fees and identify potential revenue to ensure financial health of budget.
- Administer food assistance programs at the market, maintain required federal, state and organizational records, apply for continued participation in grant partnerships that incentivize healthy food purchasing for low income individuals, coordinate with local agencies to administer the distribution of local food incentives at the farmers market, attend required trainings for yearly participation in these programs;
- Train staff to implement token programs for food assistance on market days.
- Supervise, train, and direct Market staff, including external Market Inspectors while also coordinating volunteers.
- Facilitate the inspection process of new or current vendors, including hiring of qualified, contracted Market Inspectors, schedule vendors for inspection within the two year cycle specified by the Market Operating Rules, maintain vendor communication through the inspection process, provide documentation and follow up to vendors requiring further review as a result of an inspection, review inspection process for clarifications and improve effectiveness on an on-going basis.
- Schedule and staff special events, including coordination of school group field trips, seasonal Food Truck Rallies, coordination with Parks Customer Service for market rentals.
- Promote market activities, food assistance programs, special events and local food availability information through social media, merchandise, content for Communications to use in enewsletter (Govdelivery), training office staff to be knowledgeable about market offerings, and engaging community partners.
- Responsible for grant writing and applications for operational and capital improvement funding; administering grants.
- Assure proper maintenance of office building and grounds, coordinate regular maintenance with Park Operations, Parks Planner, contracted cleaning staff.
- Provide primary staff support to Public Market Advisory Commission meetings and reporting on Market activities.
- Communicate Commission vacancies to the Mayor’s Office, onboard new Commissioners.
- Provide support to Commission, including preparation of monthly meeting agendas, public notices, monthly meeting minutes, written memoranda and resolutions for review and consideration.
- Facilitate the public process for Capital Improvement Projects at the market, including public meeting facilitation, project communication to stakeholders and the public, coordination with appropriate City staff, timeline development and adherence, reports to public bodies.
- Work with Parks Staff to identify and implement programming across facilities to ensure exceptional parks experiences while promoting local food within the City’s facilities.
- Represent the market within the community, across the state and nationally, attending events, conferences, discussions and providing information to the public media outlets as appropriate.
- Performing other related tasks as assigned.
Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation Management, agriculture, business, marketing, or related field
- At least two years’ experience managing similar venue or related experience
- At least three years’ experience managing similar venue or related experience
Related Titles: Farmer’s Market Manager, Produce Manager, Restaurant Manager, Local Foods Manager, Garden Manager, Bulk Manager