TOWN OF ROCKY HILL JOB POSTING
(This is an advertisement. Please see below for a detailed job description.)
DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
The Town of Rocky Hill is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Media Communications Coordinator . It is essential for applicants to possess the capability to remain current with new information technology and data communication trends and services. The Media Communications Coordinator provides technical web based application support services to Town staff, acts as the Town’s webmaster, manage the Town’s media outlets, and work collaboratively with Department Heads to develop and manage the Town’s communications and messaging systems. For a detailed job description and list of essential functions, please see below.
Application materials must clearly reflect significant experience and achievements. Application packages must be complete and submitted to Human Resources in accordance with instructions set forth below.
This position is part of the MEUI Local #506 Union contract. Salary (see Appendix A of collective bargaining agreement) is $64,943 and hours will be in accordance with the Union contract which can be viewed online at: http://www.rockyhillct.gov/MEIU_Contract1.pdf.
Interested applicants must submit each of the following: 1) A resume; 2) A letter of interest which demonstrates how you meet the qualifications and sets forth salary expectations; and 3) A completed Town of Rocky Hill Application for Employment. All application materials must be submitted via email to Human Resources. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Please be advised finalists will be required to undergo a comprehensive background, financial, and/or criminal investigation.
The Town of Rocky Hill is an EEO/AA Employer and complies with the ADA.
Town of Rocky Hill
POSITION: MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
DEPARTMENT: DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SUPERVISES: PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
BARGAINING UNIT: MEUI, LOCAL #506
Summary of Responsibility:
This position provides professional and technical web based application support services to Town staff, serves as the Town’s webmaster, and consults with Department Heads to address departments’ information processing needs and assist in developing internal and external communication strategies and objectives. This position also manages the Town’s website, local government access channel, electronic signage, social media mechanisms, and other media outlets, ensures that the same are designed, implemented, coordinated and maintained to the highest professional standards, develops and manages the Town’s communications and messaging systems.
- As assigned, supports Town departments’ specific web based department application software, top level support of webserver applications, and the liaison to website application vendor for technical support.
- Performs analysis of departmental functions and procedures in order to identify opportunities to provide information and E-Government solutions to the public through the Internet.
- Uses graphical layout and design experience to produce both static and interactive web pages and other town collateral such as brochures, publication, flyers, etc.
- Publishes, proofreads and edits content updates, ensures quality of messages, and performs link maintenance on existing web pages.
- Maintains, and effectively applies, an understanding of commonly used multimedia file types and their extensions. Works with scanned images, digital video, multimedia and still photography. Manages Town photographer relationship, providing direction and coordination as required.
- Lead projects to enhance existing static web pages to include interactive access to dynamic data and web applications.
- Maintains an understanding of industry trends and learns new web based application software products; also assists with the implementation of new third party applications and provides end user support as required, and develops and delivers training on various web-based application software products to staff, as needed.
- Manages the Town’s website, local government access channel, electronic signage, social media and other media outlets, and administers website content management system (internal/external) for all Town departments, and acts as the content manager regarding the same.
- Responsible for strategic and tactical communications, proactive and reactive messaging to the public and stakeholders. As assigned, works with Department Heads develop and manage Town’s communication strategy with the public using appropriate internal and external outlets, and coordinating multiple messages from internal and external stakeholders.
- With regard to communication strategies, as assigned, work collaboratively with Department Heads, Boards and Commission members, and Town Staff to evaluate content needs and adjust as necessary, and provide support for creation, design and implementation of content for the Town’s website applications and other communication tools.
- Supervises part-time staff, including those who operate filming.
- Support the operation of the community government public access channel. Operate video and audio equipment in support of public meetings as needed. Some off hours work required from time to time.
- Accountable for outreach, as appropriate and assigned, to external stakeholders and partners for purposes of ensuring effective, coordinated communications, and accordingly, maintains standard work hours Monday through Friday with evening or weekend activities and travel as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned, and introduces or contributes to process and productivity improvements.
- This position is dynamic and job duties will vary accordingly as systems are replaced and new technology is introduced.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher level degree, in Communications, Marketing, or closely related field.
- With regard to prior work experience, applicants must have a minimum of three (3) years’ work experience in positions with primary accountability for managing web pages, content management systems, and media systems.in medium- to large-sized public or private organizations with multiple stakeholders.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills – especially in converting complex technical information into clearly understandable, high-quality messages and sound bites, with a demonstrable track record of content marketing. Excellent proofreading and editing skills.
- Demonstrated, prior experience in effective project management and management of multiple high-profile projects with competing deadlines in fast-paced working environments.
- Ability to work as an individual contributor, teammate, leader, and ability to partner with Department Heads, Town Photographer, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary, and ability and willingness to travel for the purposes of building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- Must be a dependable, detail-oriented, well-organized multi-tasker who thrives in dynamic busy working environments.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to perform continuous bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting of moderate to heavy weight material up to 25 lbs.
- Is required to have the dexterity to operate and control tools and equipment required within the essential functions. Including the use of hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms;
- Vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus;
- Able to sit for prolonged periods of time;
- Able to perform in a work environment that is quiet to noisy depending on the task or equipment being used.
- Must be able to hear normal sounds with background noise, distinguish voice patterns and communicate clearly with speech as in using a telephone or providing group training.
The Town of Rocky Hill is an EEO/AA employer and complies with the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Union Approved: 11/17/2016
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $64,943.00 /year